Sunday 9 November 2014

My week ahead, 10 - 16 November 2014

Monday – 10 November, 6pm – Labour campaigning

Wednesday – 12 November, 6pm – North East Area Partnership Group meeting
7pm – North East Area Committee, St John’s URC Church, Cowper Street

Thursday 13 November, 7pm – Lecture on poetry of the First World War

Friday 14 November, 10am Armed Forces Veterans Event, Trinity Park

Today has always been important to my family, as a small child we always joined my dad at Christchurch Park for the Remembrance Day service, later we would watch with pride as he carried the Korean Veterans standard to the cenotaph.

Since I left the army it has also become important to me to attend and remember those from my own regiment who have lost their lives on active service and in particular some very close friends.

This morning as the last post was played I thought of Paul Harding who lost his life in Basra, Iraq – not only a friend but also a role model and one of the most professional soldiers I have served with. Taff Addison was also in my thoughts, an ex soldier who was murdered by the Taliban in Afghanistan.


Paul Harding - Green Jacket legend

But for many, it is not only today that they remember those who died or were wounded; they have to live every day with reminders of conflicts. So I am pleased that as a council we will be supporting the county council as they hold their first veterans event at Trinity Park on Friday. I am looking forward to joining the Mayor as we share a cup of tea and chat about military life. But this is not just a social event as we will be joined by agencies and charities as we join together to offer veterans advice and help.

Kohima Epitaph

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

No comments: